Pages

Sunday, April 28, 2013

My Doctor Visit For My Erupting Painful Skin

Spiky Brown Seed Heads

I rang the doctor surgery the next morning, it was a Monday and typically there were no appointments left. The receptionist asked if I needed to see a doctor urgently- hmmm I thought well no I am not bleeding or having breathing issues so No - but I said maybe I need to see someone- so she booked me in with a nurse for half an hour later.


Thank goodness our doctor is close by as the walk there was a nightmare, my arms felt heavy and the blisters were now filled with a weird fluid. 


I went in to see the nurse who took one look at my arms and said you need to see a Dr today - now! She said she thought it was infected and that I would need antibiotics. she didn't really want me to leave the surgery and sorted it out for me to see the Dr as soon as he had a gap.

I went in to see our doctor, I had seen him before and he is a very calm, measured doctor, nice and professional. However, I saw the look on his face when he saw my arms and knew he was shocked at what he saw.


 I revealed one arm at a time as I told the story of what had occurred to date. He carefully examined me and wanted me straight on antibiotics and to come back in 2 days and to ring if it got any worse. I also had antihistamines for the itching and painkillers for the pain. 

In the meantime to keep the skin clean with clear fresh cool water only. He said I should certainly have booked in as an emergency!!

I went back in 2 days and it was a little better and certainly no worse but not good enough for him and so he also put me on a short course of steroids and to come back in 3 days.


The pattern continued with me going back every few days to be checked and things started to improve... the blisters started to burst and ooze - it was not pleasant, very yucky actually and I covered everywhere I sat with sheets.


 I bathed in cool water only my skin could not bear anything else at this stage. After a few weeks, the burst blisters started to scab over.

I ended up covered in hard brownish large scabs all over both arms. The next stage was for them all to drop off. Dr was hopeful that this would be coming to an end.

However, there was an unexpected turn of events....

No comments:

Post a Comment