Pages

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Who Should You Tell About Your Skin Allergies?

View of Bridge over water


Ten People To Tell About Your Allergies. 

So you have a diagnosis of various things you are allergic to and is it important that you tell anyone else?

It is, of course, your decision... In my case, I felt that it was important to let key people know so that I did not put myself in danger of going through all the blistering and rashes all over again. Also because one of them is Penicillin it is vital that no one gives me that.  

I am allergic to 5 main things:-
  • Fragrances
  • Balsam of peru
  • Two preservatives commonly used in skincare and medical preparations.
  • Penicillin.

Due to this, it is important that key people in my life are aware of them and the reactions I can have.

1. The Person You live with. In my case, my husband has had to change a lot of his products as well and we have had to change how we clean our home and wash our clothes so clearly he needs to be involved and aware. He has been very supportive! 

2. Friends and wider family - in my case so they don't use perfumes when they see me, are understanding when we visit and also so they don't make the mistake of buying presents that are toxic to me!

3. Hairdresser-I can only find one shampoo and conditioner that I can use so far and it's not the one my hairdresser salon uses. So I discussed it with him and we agreed I would bring my own. Have to say my hairdressers have been wonderful, accommodating me at quiet times so I am not exposed to too many hairdressing chemicals and really looking after me.

4. Dentist- It is important in my case as some dental compounds contain the allergens I have so I gave them a detailed list of what I am allergic to.  

5. Hospital staff-If you are going into hospital for surgery it is important tell them what allergies you have- whatever the allergy.

6. Salon Staff -Beauty or "pamper" treatments- tell your therapist BEFORE you start treatment and preferably when you book what your allergies are. They may work around them or may advise you not to undertake that treatment.   

7. GP/Doctor. Clearly, your GP/Doctor will know but do remember to tell any GP/Doctor/Healthcare professional  that you need to see if you are away from home or if abroad on holiday or for work. 

8. Carer. If you have a carer to support you they will also need to be told what you are allergic to and what products you can and cannot use. 


9. Emergency Services if necessary. With many allergies, it is safer and easier for you if you wear a Medical ID Pendant Or Bracelet with the names of the allergens on so that if you cannot communicate the healthcare teams will know what is safe for you to use. There are ones available for men , women and for children and can be one of the most important piece of jewelry you own. 

10. Your Place Of Work. This may be important simply to let your employer and workmates know in case you get a reaction to say a perfume a colleague is wearing,  or due to for example chemicals you regularly come into contact with that you now need protecting from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment